McMurdo – The NZ MEOSAR satellite system builder is releasing the new G8 float-free EPIRB.
McMurdo, the provider of the entire MEOSAR infrastructure for New Zealand and Australia have developed a new generation of G8 float-free EPIRB. McMurdo developed the G8 range alongside MEOSAR in order to achieve the fastest and the most accurate solution for NZ mariners.
Float-free EPIRBs or Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons are supplied inside an auto-housing and automatically deployed when in contact with water (they can also be manually activated).
As a world’s first, McMurdo is also offering a combined EPIRB and AIS unit that will maximise the chance for a quick rescue by alerting any AIS receiving vessel in the area as well as the Rescue Coordination Centre in Wellington.
The Ministry of Transport has introduced new regulations in March requiring all commercial fishing vessels over 7.5m operating outside enclosed waters to carry an automatically deployed or “Auto Float Free” EPIRB (SOLAS Category 1) by 1 January 2019.
“McMurdo is without doubt the world leader in safety beacons” says Jan-Marten Behn from Absolute Marine. “We understand that for many operators, this is an additional expense and we want to make sure the legislation meets the desired outcome; protecting the lives of commercial folk at sea. For this reason we are pleased to announce that McMurdo is offering an exceptional rebate deal for the industry on all the new G8 Float Free EPIRBs.“
About the G8
The world’s most powerful EPIRBs, driving accelerated rescue times via:
• Faster alert detection on the 406 MHz frequency through our MEOSAR compatibility
• The world’s first QUADROTECH® EPIRB, with four search and rescue frequencies, the SmartFind G8 AIS supports the Alert, Locate, Tracking and Recovery elements of search and rescue
• Greater location accuracy by receiving GNSS coordinates from a wider range of satellite constellations
• World’s first convergence of 406 and AIS, combining the global alerting of 406 MHz with the localised locating and tracking power of AIS
• The only EPIRB manufacturer that also builds and supports the Cospas-Sarsat ecosystem infrastructure, making the benefits of MEOSAR a reality
For media enquiries, please contact:
Phone: (09) 273 9 273